Student Cell Phone Policy
Some of our students come to school with cell phones.
The goal of this procedure is to balance parents’ choice to provide a child with a cell phone, but also the school’s obligation to provide an optimal learning environment for all students. It also helps to safeguard the privacy of staff, students and visitors to the school.
Staff at École Įtł’ǫ̀ understands that parents may choose to provide their children with cell phones for a variety of family reasons. In recognition of this choice, the following guidelines will be used to govern the use of cell phones at our school by students. They are as follows:
- Student cell phones must be turned off from 8:30 to 3:20. This period covers all in-school recess and lunch breaks. Students may have their phones on and may use them outside of the school building before or after school. However, all use of cell phones on our school grounds must conform to our school’s code of conduct, and this policy.
- Student cell phones are to be out of sight from 8:30-3:20 regardless of whether a student is inside the school building, or on the school grounds.
- Students’ use of a cell phone’s features beyond text messaging and voice conversation must be with the prior approval of a member of the school’s staff. For example, a student wishing to take a picture with their cell phone must first get approval from a member of the school’s staff. This provision is included in our policy as a safeguard for the privacy of staff and other students.
- Note: This is a general provision for any device that has sound, still photography or video-recording capabilities (whether or not it is a cell phone)
- Disruptions to the classroom and school routines that result from students not following this policy may result in:
- The student being referred to the office for possible consequences. The scale of possible consequences will be in keeping with the school’s Code of Conduct
- A student’s repeated misuse of a cell phone at school will result in the phone’s confiscation by an administrator. Confiscated phones will only be returned to the student’s parent.
- The school will not be responsible for any stolen, lost, or damaged cell phones
In the event of an emergency during the school day, parents should call the school’s main office at 867-873-3477 in order to speak with their child. Similarly, a child wishing to contact their parents by phone will be allowed to use a school phone with the permission of a member of the school’s staff.
Last Revision: September 8, 2022