Sacred Feather Indigenous Student Awards
Sacred Feather Indigenous Student Awards recognize Indigenous students who model strength and commitment in the pursuit of their personal education paths. This award is a part of Yellowknife Education District No. 1 (YK1)’s commitment to reconciliation, and is linked to the Board’s strategic priorities of celebrating Indigenous culture and language and building strong communities.
These awards celebrate the unique qualities of students who inspire their peers, teachers, education leaders, and community members while celebrating the ways of their people. Each student embraces their own gifts, strengths and potential, while respecting other students to do the same in their own ways.
Sacred Feather Indigenous Student Awards are presented annually to Indigenous students selected by an awards committee. The committee will consider Indigenous student nominees who attend a YK1 school, and have been nominated by members of their educational community based on their exemplary leadership, honour, courage and commitment to their own education path. Celebrated attitudes, actions, and characteristics of nominees include:
- Embracing their cultural identity and promoting the strength, beauty and value of their culture and community
- Modeling cultural leadership to inspire their peers to pursue their own dreams and goals
- Demonstrating honesty and honour in daily encounters with school community members
- Personifies the values (or spirit) of Dene Laws
- Demonstrating how to be empathetic by understanding and respecting other points of view
- Understanding and sharing the Indigenous history and culture of Yellowknife
- Demonstrating a commitment to taking care of the land
- Demonstrating that diversity is a strength and should be understood, respected and affirmed
- Demonstrating that citizenship is lived, relational and experiential
Sacred Feather Indigenous Student Awards are divided into age categories, with one award being presented per age category each year.
- Junior Kindergarten - Grade 2
- Grades 3 - 5
- Grades 6 - 8
- Grades 9 - 12
Students may be nominated by other students, teachers, administration, school staff, district office staff, Trustees, Elders, or other members of the educational community.
Nominations should provide detailed examples related to why the student is being nominated, and how they exemplify the attitudes, characteristics, and actions outlined in the Award Parameters section of this form.
Nominations should provide detailed examples of how the student has demonstrated commitment to their culture and community. Some examples from previous recipients include: assisting with community functions, celebrations and ceremonies, volunteering in the community or school, chopping and hauling wood, traditional dancing, learning or speaking their traditional language, and teaching others about their culture.
Nominations for Sacred Feather Indigenous Student Awards are due by 5:00 p.m. on May 1, 2022. An awards committee will review applications before recipients are recognized during the regular board meeting on June 14, 2022.
Nomination packages must include:
- Completed Nomination Form
- Letter of Nomination outlining why the student has been chosen for recognition
Nomination packages must be submitted to YK1’s District Office to the attention of Mike Gibbins, Communications Officer, either in-person or by email to email@example.com.
Yellowknife Education District No. 1 (YK1)
Phone: (867) 766-5054